Wellness Retreat to Southern India
March 4th - 10th, 2018.
Escape the grind by retreating to rustic Southern India for a wellness retreat focusing on YOU. This is an opportunity to seek space for rejuvenation, exploration and peace.
Take part in two classes each day of Yoga and Pilates, sprinkled with other wellness opportunities like meditation, breath technique and a private postural analysis. Delight your taste buds with Southern India’s cuisine of spice, texture and sauces, including lentils, native fruits, coconut oils/milks and curry leaves. Take the opportunity to soak up knowledge of Ayurveda, India’s sister science, and experience luscious ayurvedic treatments, the ultimate in self-care. The state of Kerela has a tropical climate and the beach culture of the Kovalam area will allow you to shed the layers and congestion of the west as you practice self care and relaxation in a natural environment.
We will start each day with movement. The classes will be Yoga, Pilates or a mixture. On some days we will practice meditation and become in tune to our breath. A second practice will be offered in the late afternoon and may be moved around according to the activities schedule. We will practice in our own covered rooftop open air private yoga hall that overlooks the sea.
Be sure to sign up for my newsletter so you don't miss out on any details!
- 6 nights accommodations in a rustic guesthouse overlooking the Arabian Sea
- Breakfast and chai
- 2 classes per day of Pilates or Yoga
- Private postural analysis
- Additional teachings including meditation & breathwork
- Optional lecture/discussions in Yoga teachings
- Day trip to an Ashram (Indian retreat center where residents dedicate their lives to spiritual devotion)
- Indian cooking class
- Visit with an Indian spiritual counselor at his home in the village
- Day trip into Trivandrum, Kerela’s capital, for shopping and exploration
Package DOES NOT Include:
- Travel Visa
- Ayurveda treatments/massages (between $10 & $50 depending)
- Lunch and Dinner ($2-$8)
- Additional activities
- $1200 Single Occupancy
- $900 Double Occupancy
- $1500 Family Suite (includes 2 adults and children)
- India is Kid Friendly! Family option available with apartment suite, please inquire.
India is a vibrant culture with so much for the senses to take in. Whether it be the wind of tuk tuks whizzing by on the road or the smell of Indian spices wafting from restaurants and local family homes, or the sound of a woman chopping open a fresh coconut for you to drink by the beach. Brightly colored sari’s adorn the local women and tiny winding streets with handmade shopping treasures entice you to explore. It is full to the brim of endless temples, shrines, churches, mosques, and bazaars devoted to spices, incense and freshly cut flowers. India is made for those with a curious spirit and a heart ready for adventure.
My time in India has brought me more than I ever imagined. When I first traveled to India, it seemed like a flurry of chaotic and scary experiences were ahead of me. Although it was challenging at first, I quickly fell in love with the easeful pace of life and beautiful hearts of each person I encountered. I particularly loved the tropical vibes in the rustic south on my second visit and got used to a strong beachfront yoga practice and eating mangos while barefoot. Then when I left, my heart ached for the beautiful simplicity of a culture so deep in gratitude with life that they can easily find contentment in any situation. My time in India has brought me a comfort and ease in navigating a culture that can seem overwhelming to some. My dream is to lead my people to this land and give them the rich experiences I have had without the unexpected challenges that can take place while navigating a 3rd world country on your own. I envision this journey to include yoga, Pilates, rest, sipping coconuts, receiving ayurvedic massages and opening your hearts to a grand adventure.
Leave it to me to navigate the details in moving through India while you simply enjoy and treat yourself to the tropical experience in the south.
I encourage you to come early or stay after the retreat. Many of these times alone can turn out to be the richest and most authentic life experience you’ll have. India will encourage you to flow and find flexibility in aligning with the culture and way of life that brings contentment and joy in the smallest of details.
India’s positive and energetic vibe is like nothing you have been a part of before. Let me lead you to a place that mesmerized me with all its colors, beauty and life lessons!
Join me, in the name of adventure!
What to Pack:
- Passport and Indian Visa
- Yoga/Pilates clothes (don’t bring your best ones--loose and comfy is better in this culture & climate)
- Swimsuit (consider a one-piece)
- Comfortable shoes & flip flops
- Hat and sunglasses
What should I bring? You may consider packing more conservative beachwear as the Indian culture is more modest. However, Kovalom has many european tourists and the locals are used to seeing them don their beachwear. I typically choose to wear a one-piece on the beach and mostly modest clothes in public, especially when venturing into Trivandrum or the village. Think long flowy skirts and no cleavage if you want to avoid stares.
Do I need to bring a yoga mat? It’s up to you. There may be a few extra yoga mats at our guesthouse, however you can purchase a new yoga mat near the beach for less than $5.
I have dietary restrictions. Will there be foods I can eat? If you'd like a better idea of foods available in Kovalam feel free to contact Mandee to discuss personal diets! A vegetarian diet is typical in India but fresh fish and meat are available if desired. It is easy to avoid gluten and dairy.
How will I get to and from the airport? Which airport should I fly into? The closest airport is Trivandrum International Airport (TRV) If you'd like, Mandee can arrange a car pick-up from the airport for you. Cost is about $10-$15
Can you connect me to other retreaters so we can travel together? Once registration begins to fill, I will connect retreaters so they can coordinate flights and travel together if desired.
Do you have a recommended travel agent? Yes, Nancy Pole-Wilite at Terra Nova Tour has been a huge help in coordination many of my international flights and I would highly recommend her. email@example.com
- I’m concerned about safety in India. I was too, on my first visit. I have spent some time in Kovalam and I felt safer than many places I have been within the US. Southern India in particular is more relaxed than other India destinations. The beach community we will be staying in is a bit of a different vibe from the village and hustle and bustle of town and there are many other tourists. I have met many of the business owners in the area and they are happy we are coming. There are many other yoga groups that visit this area. As always when traveling, be cautious and don’t take unnecessary risks. Please feel free to ask specific questions and talk through your concerns with me!
Click here for the registration form.
For more info, contact Mandee via email for questions or to set up a phone or in person meeting!